Freudian Slips: A Monumental Achievement

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

August 26, 2007

A Monumental Achievement

I am blessed to know a middle-aged client with Down Syndrome who, despite his many achievements in life, he could not grasp money skills. Teachers, tutors, and kin all tried various teaching modalities without successful breakthrough. Forget the practical application of money itself, Trey W. Fitzsimmons' competency broke down with value identification. Whether coins or dollar bills got placed in front of him, he easily became befuddled and red-faced frustration quickly dominated the scene. The best Trey could do was pocket your failure.

A summer vacation in South Dakota changed all that a few months before the turn of the last century. Carved into the southeast face of a mountain, Trey immediately sized up the grandness of The Mount Rushmore monument. His stubby fingers pawed at the stone mountain in his haste. Staring at the big faces of four dead presidents, Trey’s proclamation cut like scissors through the high altitude air. His pointer finger worked magic from left to right.

“One dollar, two dollar, dime, and penny!” he shouted.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger e said...

That is awesome! I felt a rush of pride in him as I realized where the story was heading.

10:33 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

AH what pleasantries. I felt about the same when I saw MT Rushmore, however instead of counting money I was not talking! Go figure that out

3:16 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

e,
You think faster than my average reader. lol

mommanator,
You speechless? I could never COUNT on that. he-he

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, I must be one of your average readers. I had no idea where you were going with that story. Unbelievable

11:25 PM  
Blogger e said...

I was remembering my short stint working with autistic kids in a "Life Skills" class. I worked mostly with a 14 yr old boy named John, who was very low-functioning. Our daily morning regimen included coin recognition.
When I got to "Teachers, tutors, and kin all tried various teaching modalities without successful breakthrough.", my mind was already racing, wondering what got overlooked or what would trigger Trey's ability to remember. So, when Mt Rushmore got mentioned, my head went "ah HAH!"
Since I have very little control over what my own head does, i cannot take credit for being quick. LOL

2:11 AM  
Blogger e said...

hhhmmmm .... about that "two dollar' ....?

6:54 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

catherine mary,
you work at the post office, not the mint.

E,
in currency, the faces are the windows to the soul.

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story, Joe!

Reminds me of a tongue in cheek ficticious recollection of an encounter with Donald Trump -- who, while pointing at the NY Skyline, was overheard mumbling ....

Got it ... Got it ... Don't got it ... Want it ... Got it ...

4:59 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Crimp,
Your social status speaks volumes. lol. These are the stories that keep me in social work and PENNILESS.

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us