Freudian Slips: Railroaded

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

August 19, 2007

Railroaded

-Joseph Tornatore dressed if not to kill then to ticket punch.

When is getting a job as a train conductor yet denied permission to board your train a good thing? Let me tell you about my unusual go of it lately. It all started when I took a part time job as a train conductor then got railroaded.

I play J. Dropik, a train conductor, in mega director M Night Shymalan’s next movie, The Happening. I do not want to get too far down the track here without stopping at the next station. My character is in only one short scene despite it taking two days to film. Moreover, the entire scene outside the railroad station could end up on the chopping block and never make the final cut. After all, there is little certainty on the production end of the movie business.

Now onto conducting good news about not catching the train:

*I wound up on the right track when I got cast in the same close-up scene with multi-talented actor Mark Wahlberg. Surrounded by six far more talented actors than yours truly, I acted accordingly. Watching Wahlberg act up close and personal was technically educational.

*M Night Shymalan gave me goosebumps when he called me by my first name on the set to give me instruction to raise the train schedule prop higher to be in frame for another take.

*On the afternoon of the second day, I found myself standing alone next to Mark Wahlberg. I picked his genius brain about one of my favorite movies, The Departed, which won an Oscar for Best Picture. After stating a heartfelt compliment about his convincing supporting acting in that movie, Mark thrusted his hand out for me to shake. He smiled and thanked me for saying that. I introduced myself and just the two of us chatted before the director called for picture up. Now time for Mark to go back to work, he excused himself but promised to return to share more interesting trivia. With heavy lead in my conductor boots, I mouthed, “I ain’t going nowhere. Whalberg nailed the movie take with co-star John Legazamo then came back and started talking to me about the movie The Departed like we had no departure.

*After my character wrapped for the movie, M Night Shymalan proved his graciousness to agree to pose for a candid picture with me.

*While boarding the bus to leave the set, a complete stranger slipped me a manilla folder. Inside rested a priceless 8x10 color photo still of my scene in the movie. There I stood frozen in time acting my scene out with Mark Wahlberg. It is hard not to believe an angel from actor’s heaven gave it to me.

Some people miss the boat in life. I missed the train this week and it was one of the most memorable experiences of my life.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Pax Romano said...

Now that's ironic: you work with Wahlberg again, on the set of a film directed by a man whose work is all about irony (M. Night)...wow, I feel like I am being hit over the head with irony here.

Oh and lest we forget all of the Freudian subtext about the train and the conducter...are you sure there wasn't a tunnel and maybe some cigars involved??

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it weren't for the picture of you in costume, I'd think you made it all up!!!!!!

I still have my doubts!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

pax,
You need my conductor's cap to wear to soften me hitting you over your head with irony. smile.

anonymous,
I have better pictures but I am not at liberty to post them on the internet before film release. Just ask for a sneak peak privately.

1:38 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

WOW a wonderful vacation then a flick with Wahlberg! What is up for you next. Maybe someday we will all be saying remember JT @ Ancora and those things he wrote on the psychology computer! LOL

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look mighty handsome in that uniform!

How cool is that? I've yet to see "The Departed" but I have that on my list. I hope that you are in the movie.

I'm sure that Mark had something to do with getting that picture to you.

P.S. I still have that link to the ghost stories. I'll read them soon. ;)

Steph

10:28 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Steph,
That conductor's cap covers much baldness.

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH JOE How sexy in a uniform, the train was surely going somewhere, like your acting career, what a long strange trip it has been for you, keep on chugging!
Missy

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again, same place different day. I absolutely believe this story as we returned home from NYC to find the movie being filmed at the station. Unfortunately didn't see anyone famous - including you.
Good luck & congratulations.
Cheryl

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe - very cool!

I hung on every word - really felt your excitement and sense of awe

(or, perhaps that was that my own envy?).

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, you look adorable in that uniform, Joe!

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a Funky Bunch you were hanging with. A few more Celeb pics and you could open up your own restaurant. Maybe call it, Papa Razzi's

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps, but you still have that boyish smile. :)

Anyway, we're 45, who's hair ISN'T thinning??? LOL!

Steph

8:01 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

To all,
Thanks for the well wishes.

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us