Freudian Slips: Riding the Wave

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

August 14, 2007

Riding the Wave

We just returned from a sun soaked vacation in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Twenty members on my wife's side of the family shared a magnificient beachfront mansion in the upscale town of Corolla. Pictured here is a zippy waverunner that I got up to 54 mph to cool off a blistering 95 degree day.
While vacationers endured some of the highest temperatures on record in North Carolina, our family was fortunate in that we rented a home with an inground pool and access to a private ocean approximately two hundred yards from the back door. Family members took turns cooking meals and sharing resources. The many children enjoyed beach volleyball, water polo, shopping, sightseeing, go-karts, flying kites, spectacular sunsets and sunrises, nightly game board play, fireworks on the beach, an organized treasure hunt, even swimming with fearless dolphins in the sea.

My vacation highlight involved finding myself absolutely alone on the beach one gorgeous partly cloudy afternoon. It seemed uncanny to find absolutely nobody as far as I could see on the private beach. The absence of distraction and outside noises proved deafening. So I parked my bones at the water's edge in the shallow water of a sand bar where I revisited a simpler life. For well over an hour, I marveled at the crashing waves and felt the gritty undertow try to claim me like quicksand. As a prevailing breeze swept my sparse hair, this foreign body stuck in island mud became one with Mother Nature. I emerged from the ocean thinking how blessed it is to simply be alive.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger e said...

Isn't it wonderful to find that place that is outside of time and the everyday world? Temporarily free from the restraints of mind and body...
Those profound moments are brief and hard to come by, but while they last they are eternal.
It is shalom.

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely, Joe. Your closing paragraph gave me the chills. And I've always wanted to get on a wave runner thing. Looks like you had a blast!

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely post! It appears that you have finally found what it means to be in the "present" moment of time while letting the past and future take care of its self!!!

Well done!

9:48 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

jessica,
yes, wonderful vacation even the time spent alone.

et,
You are too kind. I have always said that it is all about the present, especially on my birthday.

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe,

I live less than a mile from our sugar white sandy beaches and I go maybe once a year...and each time I go I kick myself for not going more often. Sometimes you just need a reminder of how beautiful this planet is that we live on.

I think I'll go to the beach this weekend.

Mike

3:22 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

sounds like a good time was had by all! glad you r back safe and sound

3:34 PM  
Blogger Zelda Parker said...

This may be the your best post. All fun and the beauty of nature.Ahhhh

6:49 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

anonymous,
Sandcastles all around!

mommanator,
We passed through lovely Maryland on our journey.

zelda,
nothing like the present even for a post.

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen! I just returned from vacation in Cape May and experienced a VERY similar event, Totally awesome to be in sync with God & Mother Gaya.

Peace to you like that everyday.

MS

12:34 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

ms,
too bad vacations have to end.

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us