Freudian Slips: The Cigarette After

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

August 16, 2007

The Cigarette After

Beatrice Lilly Dungstone sat in a lurch, sideways on the seat of the parked company car that provided her transport. Her swollen edema ridden legs dangled short of the ground. With the door ajar, I stood over her, hoping for an end to her convulsive snorts on a lit cigarette. Her savory pucks could have convinced me it was the last cigarette in the carton.
Bending a bushy eyebrow, Beatrice longingly asked, “Will you still be my case manager after you find me that apartment to live in?”
“No. I will have to transfer you to another case manager. I do not have that type of a caseload.”
The cigarette dangled now in her mouth as she jawed. She exhaled plume. ”That is awesome news!”
“What do you mean?” I questioned with trailing rejection. “I did not expect you to get out tissues and cry but I thought we were getting along famously.”
“That is just it. I like you too much, Joe.” A sweet spot activated the makings of Beatrice's flawed smile. “Since you won’t be my case manager in the future, that’ll remove almost all conflict of interest between us. If you are willing to take off your wedding ring for a few hours, I would like to invite you over for a dinner for two.”
I tried to salvage an air of professionalism in the heat of the moment. “There will be none of that. I think you are puffing prematurely on that cigarette, young lady.”

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rejection! Rejection! That's all I ever hear....the heartbreak, the tears...oh, my!!!!! My dreams are shattered, reality sets in....the heartbreak, the tears...oh, my!!!!!

9:24 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

O such a sad story of rejection you poor thing

11:18 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

anonymous and mommanator,
I get to keep my day job this way. it's for the best.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope that she can stand her ground and let you go...
MS

12:28 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

ms,
they all let me go.

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us