Freudian Slips: The Brush Off

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

July 03, 2008

The Brush Off

2008 is half over and my semi-annual report card bemoans failing grades for accomplishing the goals I set forth for myself for the year.
In the year that I dedicated solely to re-writing and finishing a novel, other ventures have placed my pen down and my time, energy, and creativity is being channelled elsewhere. Painting hockey miniatures for customers spanning the globe has dominated my free time and acting gigs further take me away from my love of writing.
All I am doing now is finishing one job to start another. I have enough painting orders to work 24 hours a day save a few knockoff hours for sleep. My wife now calls me narcissistic when I act and Jepeto when I paint. Somewhere between narcissism and Jepeto is an overworked social worker who believes that deep down he is truly meant to be a published author.
As I paint away in my toyshop, I often guiltily stare at my hand that manipulates an artist paintbrush and not a writer’s pen. Crafting art has replaced crafting words. I need to return to the art of storytelling but cannot find my way back despite the repeated promises I make to myself. My word, like my words, isn’t good enough.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger mommanator said...

or maybe you needed time away to rejenerate it? muddle over what was already written to make it a blockbuster later on own the next season of your life?? Hansel and Gretal return via the path!

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me thinks this is a cry in the night for Mama to get back to proof reading.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

mommanator,
time away to regenerate and improve. true. true. Ralph is retiring, did you know?

anonymous,
Your tuteledge is needed from chapte 4 on. I am in chapter 8 re-writing scenes.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A bottom line decision. You've sold your soul for the almighty $$$$$. It's a human thing. Paint away my friend, its done right by me.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

anonymous,
Makes SENSE to me. lol

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us