Freudian Slips: The Cost of Living

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

May 12, 2008

The Cost of Living

Inside a local pizzeria, I huddled in my winter coat on this drearily cold day in May. Staring at the menu trying to determine the price increase on a slice of pizza since my last visit, multiple live news broadcasts chattered in my ears. The owner seemed annoyed that I quoted aloud the price of inflation before ordeirng a vegetable neopolitan slice.
Behind the counter, a radio station broke for a live report of emerging bad weather conditions. High wind gusts and heavy rain from a nor'easter were traveling across our region. I looked to the blaring television on my right for possible coverage of this storm. Instead, the TV coverage showed destroyed homes from the deadly string of tornadoes that just ransacked Midwest states. Trying to get my mind off of the doom and gloom, I started to read the ticker scroll at the bottom of the screen. The ticker mentioned rebuilding efforts from the devastating cyclone that hit across the other side of the world. If that were not enough, television programming was interrupted by breaking news that a sizeable earthquake hit mainland China and ten thousand people are feared dead.
By the time my pizza was heated in the oven and handed to me, the owner could read the despondency on my face. He knew it had nothing to do with him passing on the rising cost of flour to make the pizza dough to his customers.
He smirked, “Two bucks for a pizza slice ain’t bad now, huh buddy?”
The cost of living I said in my head.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes....perception can be the spice of life....and/or the doom and gloom of one's comfort level!

9:52 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

Yikes- I just heard of the storm in NJ- I was basking in the sun/ on the beach in St Augustine, Fla- The storm sounded sureal for Mothers day! glad to hear all are well.
Now he price of a slice of pizza is a different story altogether! ya know they really dont know howm to make pizza in FLa- we could open up a place and make a bundle!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

anonymous,
you are right.

mommanator,
could we sell aligator burgers to scare off the local reptiles?

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Mr., Mister,

Can we get some more "positive" storys out of you? Tell us a story about your acting, haven't heard one in a while. Those are always good.

Best,
Johnny Sweatpants

5:55 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Mr. Mister,
Landing an acting role always improves the chances of writing about the neat experience. lol

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds good my friend! When you do, we'll celebrate by me wearing a new pair of sweatpants!!! Maybe soon you'll be talking about "The Verdict" you were in, which is suppose to air June 6th!

Johnny Sweatpants!

11:27 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

johnny sweatpants,
You intrigue me. Who are you and who said The Verdict is to air on June 6th?

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us