Freudian Slips: Child Visitation

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

April 14, 2008

Child Visitation

Sunday, April 13th, 2008 -
After a dozen years of child visitation, I saw what was once my car approach the house. Something rectified inside me the moment I saw the car park curbside but I could not articulate the feeling at first. I watched what was once a child emerge from the driver's side. My oldest daughter had come to pay a visit.
It marked the first time one of my kids actually visited me on their own recognizance. She carried a smile and a birthday present for me. The fact that she still had Christmas presents to open from 2007 told a story in and of itself but that mattered little with her in the house again. She talked about her upcoming high school senior trip and the prospects of college. Her future sounded brighter than the bridge ahead of me. For a divorced non-custodial parent, I knew that court ordered child visitation was no more with her. There was no child before me. While I will maintain an open door policy, visits with this adult are now strictly at her discretion.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yahooooooo!

7:28 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

Well Joe thats how it should be! sorry but the truth-Kids should be able to use their discretion, but you will win her back-she prob has had a lot of bad press about you to overcome, I am just glad she made the start and it's for you to continue!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

anonymous,
yabba dabba do!

mommanator,
An open mind is a terrible thing to waste but I hear ya.

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Babe, I never comment your blog and I am sorry, I know that disappoints you. I hope I make up for it in other ways, but anyway this entry really got to me and I just wanted you to know that I saw it and I love you

8:40 PM  
Blogger honkeie said...

I have a 12 year old son in a similar situation and I hope he too will someday do the same. He loves his weekends with me and would come over more but the mother has since moved to the middle of no where NJ. We always met half way on my weekends. I try my best to make him feel as welcomed in my home as any other place he could go to.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

anonymous,
More presents under my pillow is a good starting point.

honk,
half of the world seems to be in our situation. Honk if you can hear me?

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi bro.

Honk....I'm glad to hear she drove to your house to see you. That's awesome. Keep thigs light and she'll be around alot more.

T

11:56 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

T,
Yeah you're in the same boat. Thanks for throwing me an oar.
Let's Go Flyers!

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us