Freudian Slips: Curious Joe

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

January 25, 2007

Curious Joe

It totally felt like a productive day. After some preliminary correspondence, I met with the owner of a unique store called The Curiosity Shoppe to close a business deal. The eclectic store for artists waiting for their big break is located at 529 South Fourth Street in Philadelphia, PA.
I signed a straightforward contract to have my novel Stop and Smell the Silk Roses garnish their shelves for sale. While it is a consignment business arrangement, it breathes new life into a book about a man who nearly died of insect bites then faced two years of mistaken identity with others before he finally found out who he was inside.
It tickled me pink when the lovely owner read an excerpt of my book aloud for the mingling customers. It felt wonderful discussing a future book signing at the store. Thereby feeling the wind beneath my wings, I started to feel prideful about my author inroads. When I got home, I kind of sort of in a round about way telephoned my mother directly from speed dial to make casual mention of the publicity for her stamp of approval.
Mom listened to everything I had to say, shared optimism, and then changed subjects. “Your brother John is in Tokyo on an important business trip with company delegates and your brother Jim met with the Governor of New Jersey today.”
-It is sometimes better to keep looking inside oneself then stopping to look around.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! Joe, you sound like Raymond from "Everybody Loves Raymond" and I'm doing a great imitation of "Marie"

You captured the moment perfectly. I hate seeing myself in print. The truth stings like a bee, but I got over it quite quickly, thank you!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

et, I was about to say the same thing!

Joe, let me know if there is a reading at the store, I'd love to go!

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pax will need a Starbucks next door!

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who knew the freaking governor would decide to visit the big house on the same day of your book reading! it'll probably be years before such a distinguished guest visits those not-so-hallowed halls again!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

et,
Glad you laughed.

Pax,
The Events Committee is looking for ideas, suggest I do a reading.

Zelda,
I do not know if you are familiar with the area, Starbucks is right next door, I mean right next door.

Vault,
I will have to fill you in on the rest of the irony of that day

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe,
Every dog has his day, and the Big dog went to the big house. Tokyo Rose struggles with HAIR of the dog, and Hummada still DOGS behind Flinkster. Let me tell you a story of identiy crisis....

7:07 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Marcus,
Why don't you climb up a tree with a rooster.

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moms have a way of taking us down a peg, without ever intending to do it. We are at both fantastic and ordinary to them all at once. Whichever we are feeling at a given moment, they are sure to feel the opposite...

11:13 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

merci,
well put. brings to shame my ducky comment on your blog.

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us