Freudian Slips: Don't Talk To Strangers

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

December 21, 2006

Don't Talk To Strangers

My children absolutely abhor me striking up casual conversations with strangers in public. I have imparted to no real avail the following exception to the DON'T TALK TO STRANGERS RULE: A sensible adult can discriminate between strangers to be avoided and the strangers who are just people we have not met yet. In the company of my children, I try to limit my friendliness with anyone else for no good reason other than to avoid their harsh criticism. Likewise, it often does not feel quite natural to remain in this stifling coccoon but I tend to not publicly mingle in order to be privately loved. In the recesses of my mind, however, I started to think about the events of today.
After finding a lost wallet on a stretching mat at the gym, I tracked down the rightful owner and returned it. The grateful man seemed inclined to talk to me at length afterwards about a number of subjects. We had an enjoyeable conversation and he had has wallet.
I shared a double coupon with a woman at the grocery store. It served as an ice breaker for discussion. We spoke about the upcoming holidays and the best way not to overcook a pecan pie.
I stopped to help a stranded elderly woman on the side of the road. I pushed her disabled car about 1/10th of a mile into a gas station. She thanked me like nobody's business for saving her the cost of a tow truck pull.
Idle time prompted me to strike up a conversation with a woman standing in the lengthy bank teller line. We bounced around subjects until settling on the open competitive market with natural gas supplies. Our conversation lasted through the lines and we moved to the side of the lobby to chat. I explained the steps she could take with PSE&G in shopping around for another distributor. With her money and her money saving tip in hand, her smile alone was worth me taking timeout of my life.
In helping four strangers, I probably made four friends today that my children will never know about. I wouldn’t want my children to think differently of their father. To every stranger reading this post right now, Happy Holidays to you and yours from Freudian Slips.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

" I could think of nothing stranger"

7:36 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Anonymous,
mums the word.

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think these sorts of little interactions are some of the best in life. Once I was walking into a grocery store and a woman parked in a van outside called me over and said she had her sleeping grandkids in the car and wondered if I'd be willing to run in and pick up a few items for her. I did and she was grateful. We chatted for a minute about parenting and the folly of waking napping children. I was in a good mood all day from that encounter.

3:14 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

CSL,
Talk about food for thought. lol. It's a dangerous world but we are all here to help. You did right.

3:08 PM  
Blogger eatmisery said...

I just wanted to wish you a happy and safe holiday!

10:30 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Eatmisery,
Likewise.

9:19 AM  
Blogger rfvgardens said...

As my Dad always said, If you are a receiver of an act of kindness you must pass it on, and you are truly fortunate if it takes you your whole life to pass on all those acts of kindness.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

RV,
Didn't I loan you a $100.00?

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us