Freudian Slips: Get a Grip

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

December 05, 2006

Get a Grip

While I was on the set filming an AIDS Awareness commercial last month, an interesting dynamic unfolded. During one of the few breaks in the shoot, I wound up noticing the painfully long face of a grip guy standing to the side of the staging area.
“How are you doing?” I inquired in a friendly tone.
“Not too frigging good.” he grimaced. “I can’t believe I am here and I can’t wait to be done this commercial.”
“Why?” I asked with candor.
“Be for real.” he retorted. “Everywhere you turn there is another photographer taking more digital stills. I better not be in any of the uploaded pictures. Are you really enjoying this?”
I corrected, “I am having the time of my life.”
“I can’t believe you would even want to be in this commercial.” His feet started to pace. “What do you think the voiceovers are going to be talking about when the camera is on you? This commercial is a train wreck. I wouldn’t want to be you. No way. Every single viewer is going to think you have AIDS. Say goodbye to your love life. You aren’t going to be able to get the scent of a woman near you.”
“Get a grip.” I responded. “I’m an actor raising awareness.”

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You told a Grip Guy to get a grip??Come on Joe, you can do better than that!!!!

7:37 PM  
Blogger rfvgardens said...

Oh Wow...I'm sure glad he wasn't the "Key Grip", or maybe the gaffer.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

anonymous,
that was the best I could do at the moment.

Rfvgardens.
gaffer...i could build off of that. it's a gaffe.

8:22 AM  
Blogger honkeie said...

I get what he was saying.....even though it is a very narrow minded thing to think. I always thought if i meet that chick from the herpes commercials I would blurt out "You have genital herpes!"

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some folks are never happy! Glad yo're having fun.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

honk,
tell her the guy from the AIDS awareness commercial says hello. lol

Zelda,
maybe I should reserve judgment until the commercial comes out.

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us