Freudian Slips: Shedding Light on Hanukkah

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

December 19, 2006

Shedding Light on Hanukkah

The forces that put two people in the same spot on the planet have always mystified me. My standing on the sidewalk of an institution for the developmental disabled one unseasonably mild day last month brought a strangely familiar shuffle of feet behind me. Before I turned around, I recognized the shuffle and who it belonged to even though I had not seen this person in about fourteen years.
He greeted, “What is your name again?”
“Joe Tornatore.”
“Joe, I know you, don’t I?” I must have triggered his long term memory synapses because he shot off a short list of people we both knew in the past. Mutual friends quickly turned into a grimace. “I’m worried abut my Hanukkah man. My Hanukkah.”
“Don’t worry about Hanukkah, Franklin. It will be here soon enough. Hey, I thought you were Lutheran anyway.”
Franklin repeated his concern. “But I’m worried abut my Hanukkah man. My Hanukkah.”
I took a half step back to evaluate the confusing situation. While Franklin looked scared massaging his descended belly, his aliterating manner of speech came storming back to my memory banks.
I spewed almost triumphantly. “Now I understand. You have a hernia, don’t you Franklin?”
“That has been what I have been telling you all along. I’m worried about my Hanukkah, man.”
Sometimes even a Lutheran needs some light shed on Hannukkah.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger honkeie said...

What on earth did I just read....what it supposed to be funny...I hope soo I am laughing hahahaha

12:51 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

honk,
a social worker's diary, if you will. yes funny.

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome. Just awesome!

11:07 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

E,
Thanks.

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us