Freudian Slips: Resuming the Resume

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

November 08, 2005

Resuming the Resume

Last Thursday, I found myself in an awkward conversation with a frantic co-worker who needed to update her resume for a fast approaching promotional opportunity. I could feel the tension on her fingertips. Job hunting would never happen to me and I felt relieved. Why? No presiding need. I haven’t updated my resume in over a decade and I haven’t applied for a single job in over fourteen years.
I recognize that I am a rare breed at my worksite. Most people are not like me. Working among more than a fair share of malcontents, I have job satisfaction. I would call it a 9 on a satisfaction scale of 1-10 with a point withheld for minor garden variety complaining. Some might call my stewardship as nothing but static servitude while I prefer to label it as contentment.
Yesterday, I stumbled across a part time job advertisement in journalism. The embedded irony in Freudian Slips would have it no other way. The Courier Post newspaper is seeking a columnist for a small weekly feature about people and places in my county. My blog is a testament of stories about people and places in my community anyway. So no different than my colleague and little different than my blog, I sat down tonight and scrambled to update my dusty outdated resume. The resume building proved to be the easy part. The requirement of supplying three writing samples gave me excruciating pain in the temples. It took me an hour to update my resume and an additional two hours to languish over the writing samples. If humor and snap decision making is in any way counted against applicants, I may not have the write stuff.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

testing comment ability.

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of Luck with the job hunt! You seem to be the right person for the position, always getting into and out of situations in NJ.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Merci said...

Promotional opportunity in our offices? Did I miss that one?

Good luck w/the journalism app!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

et,
a man of many positions is an asset in some markets.

merci,
yeah, you know it's the bulletin board with nothing on it and no line in front of it. i guess we missed one.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

OK, I'm going to try this again, because wither your comments are screwy or you have banned me ...

Good luck! Sounds like the perfect postion for you!

10:50 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

erin,
i accidentally had comment moderation on for a few days. Sorry for the inconvenience.

11:28 PM  
Blogger An Epistemology said...

I hope you get it, I think you would be great at it, as proven by your blog!!!

8:54 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

rachel,
thanks for WORDS of encouragement. I might need them. lol.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Zelda Parker said...

Guess I am among those banned from writing to the great and powerful BlogOZ. My flattering comments did not show up, whats up with that?

10:13 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Zelda,
my blog had Commnet Moderation accidentally on for a few days. my blog was a ghost town for feedback. sorry.

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us