Freudian Slips: Psychodrama

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

October 16, 2005

Psychodrama

“I see you working in a day care or nursery school but you aren’t doing direct care work. You must be a director or an administrator.”
A psychic prophesized my occupation before I had even declared a major in college. I dismissed the illogical claim to pedestrian fame and the prediction stayed in my rearview mirror. I didn’t revisit the notion until I was middle aged. On an average Wednesday morning, the 25 year old trace memory surfaced like a divining rod of purpose.
Let me explain how. My work location has not changed in the last thirteen years. It is a noisy day program of non-ambulatory, non-verbal developmentally disabled clients. My employer rents space for me to have a shell of a satellite office in this special needs day program. As the lone social worker, I oversee clients who attend this day program. It is the same rickety foam partitions forming the walls of my office cubicle, the same fluorescent light covers brimming overhead with trapped dead bees, and the customary paper clips and staples underneath my pacing feet. For all of its flaws and lack of amenities, it is where I conduct business. The drab office is my home away from home. It is where I belong and from where I will probably retire.
“Joe Tornatore.” I answered the phone for the ten thousandth time.
There was a deliberate pause. “Joe, it sounds like you are working in a nursery school.”
“Can you hold on a minute?” I asked the caller.
What did the caller just say? Where have I heard those words before? As I took in the familiar sights and sounds of the day room, the psychic’s quarter of a century old prediction rang true with the lifted weight of a startling revelation. Forget the last 13 years I have worked here without changing jobs and not coming to the same conclusion. Life happens on a subconscious level and it often doesn’t bubble to the surface right away. So for the very first time, I listened with the mind’s eye of that gifted psychic.
An interactive toy spit out a singy-songy nursery rhyme. I heard the non-harmonious blend of vocalizations. Amidst cooing, cackles, and crying sounds from mouths yearning to be fed and bottoms stirring to be changed, I remembered the psychic’s prediction verbatim. Humm…where I work cannot be distinguished from a day care center. Oh My God! That psychic was right!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once in awhile, psychics can get it right!!!!!! You are in the right profession. Not many people can say that and mean it! It's easy for me to say because I don't have to do the work.

Blogging for one whole year!!!!A big "WOW" to you and a happy 1st birthday. How does it feel, Joe?

5:08 PM  
Blogger Zelda Parker said...

Happy Anniversary! It's great to know that you like what you do. I understand that ET is reported to be a little psychic? Is that true?

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us