Freudian Slips: U2 for Boss's Day

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

October 20, 2005

U2 for Boss's Day

- October 17, 2005, The U2 Concert on National Boss's Day.

My wife and I went to see U2 in concert at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The concert almost proved to be out of sight when a 6'5" Swede decided to stand throughout the concert in the seat in front of me. After a lackluster opening Reggae band, U2 resoundingly mesmerized the crowd. Bono was an energetic front man but my eyes were often stolen by Edge's guitar riffs.
U2 performed for over two hours to a sold out show. U2 covered songs from their new album as well as the all-time classics. The Joshua Tree album was well represented in song and spirit. It remains one of my favorite albums and I am not alone in the adulation. Public radio station WXPN just voted it as one of the top ten albums in history. U2 did a moving rendition of Miss Sarajevo which could not be introduced without political commentary to do it justice.
The band returned three different times for encores. Standing ovations and spilled beers greeted them each time. During the middle encore, Bono prepped the audience for something special by instructing everyone to get out their cell phones for picture taking. Phones flipped open and a virtual sea of soft blue light illuminated the dark. The Darkness on the Edge of Town had been pierced and technology never seemed so tranquil. When Bono needed another guitar player on stage, he recruited audience participation. New Jersey's beloved Bruce Springsteen was plucked straight from the crowd. The Freudian Slips irony did not escape me: The Boss, Bruce Springsteen, on Boss's Day. The crowd went absolutely berserk over the staged shenanigans. Two of my favorite musicians now shared the same sound stage. How boss!
Meanwhile, I couldn't see a freaking thing from section 107 lower level and it wasn't just because of the giant Swede. The last time I saw Bruce Springsteen live in concert was at the tenderloin age of twenty when I boasted 20/20 vision. Two decades later, I needed the army field binoculars of a four star general to know the Boss was even in the building. Through the high powered binoculars, I found Bruce strutting on stage. Periscope eyes watched him and Bono belt out a fiery rendition of People Get Ready. Why did my ears hear the crowd emanating a chorus of boos to such a cool duet? Well, my ears joined my failing eyes when I learned that the crowd was chanting a flattering Brrruuuuuuuccccccce and not boos.
After the fulfilling concert, I couldn't find my stinking car in the parking lot. Did I mention that my legs hurt from walking and tippy-toeing all night over the treetop from Sweden? Twenty years from now I'll probably be watching the Foo Fighters farewell tour with Coke bottle prescription glasses and hearing aides all the while smelling every bit like an old person dipped in garlic. Don't laugh. For the record, it will happen to U2.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger annush said...

First and foremost thank you for stopping by my blog...

Now...youa re lucky you ever got to go to see U2 tall swede and all...I tried so hard to get tickets and I still got nothing...

10:15 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I saw U2 in 98 or so. Great concert. Now, I've never seen The Boss, but he is my dad's wife's favorite and I am sure she will be taking me with her to a concert at some point.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

annush,
to heck with the Swede, next time I am going Dutch.

erin,
usually the wife makes herself the Boss.

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are my favourite since Ruttle and Hum
I saw them here in Italy in 93, but last Summer I miss them (probably too busy increasing our population)
I now look for the dvd's concert
chi

4:26 AM  
Blogger Zelda Parker said...

What a nice time seeing U2 and Bruce. Do wish that I had gone afterall....Sorry I missed that. Glad that you and Mrs. T. had fun!
Peace

7:24 AM  
Blogger Tyjen said...

thanks for stopping by my blog! and thats cool that you went to U2.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

chi,
so good of you to return tomy blog. i missed you both?

zelda,
that is Mrs. G.

sub girl,
thanks for visiting.

10:08 PM  
Blogger c said...

just passing thru. cool blog.
i feel your pain on the tall people in front of you at concerts. murphy's law i think.
but lucky you in philly getting bruce. u2 does not disappoint. ever.
peace

10:09 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

i'm average height and I never came up so short.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

jess,
U2, huh?

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us