Freudian Slips: The Art of Parting in Parenting

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

August 23, 2008

The Art of Parting in Parenting

My oldest daughter left for college today to start art college as a freshman. While she is only a short commute away, the distance could not feel further. Even though she has not lived with me since the divorce to her mother a decade ago, I got emotional at the send off. I did not want to leave her dormitory room and would have paid top dollar to buy just one more Ikea product to slowly assemble.
Alas, I was not expecting quite the reaction after we hugged goodbye. My feelings surfaced like a punch in the jaw. As I took to the dormitory steps, tears clouded my vision. I was happy for her declaration of independence but sad in a natural way. Leaving the college, I realized that the art of parenting is now only to the extent she wants and allows. She is considered an adult and living on her own in the big city. It was time for me to hit the pavement with both tears running.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Learning to "Let Go" is an art in itself! Dad never learned this lesson well....he always missed his sons.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

et,
I might have to go back to college for this one.

3:46 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

tell me about letting go! read my blog this week!

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suck it up, ya sissy. You should be very proud of her. I am. Love Ya.

Uncle T

11:51 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

mommanator,
ditto that.

T,
you'll be there one day too.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us