Freudian Slips: Million Dollar Baby

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

November 26, 2006

Million Dollar Baby

While channel surfing with the remote control, my ears recorded what my eyes did not initially see. This sports fanatic stopped on the heels of a professional boxing match in progress. I noticed the excitement of the crowd and the fervor in the male announcer’s voice as two million dollar babies went at it.
“She has it all. She is the complete package.” The announcer passionately described. “A vicious right hook to the temple. Look at her go. This is some lady. ”
The description made no sense with the brutal visual images before me. I realized that the only thing missing from this sporting event was testosterone. This was not a hair pulling catfight over the high school baseball team’s right fielder’s affection. I watched a simply glovely woman boxer pummeling another broad in the corner of a ring. A left jab precipitated a body shot into the pillows of her opponent’s erogenous zone. Teeth clenched, the two pug-faced red eye combatants traded blows like rabid pit bulls fighting to the death.
I watched the bout until I could not take it any longer. As a hot-blooded man, who espouses the beauty and virtue of women, I cannot visualize anything less feminine and desirable than a woman boxer. If savagery constitutes a lady, what lousy adjectives are left to inject a tramp?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger eatmisery said...

I hate boxing, in general, whether it's between women or men. Barbaric.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Ditto what eatmisery said. Male boxing is a turnoff to me.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

eatmisery and merci,
never thought about it from a woman's perspective

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, You know how I fell able all sports except for my beloved baseball, Di

9:47 AM  
Blogger CS said...

I found myself reacting to the idea that it was somehow more barbaric for women to box than for men, and then found two people commenting about the same thing before me. If it had instead been “A vicious right hook to the temple. Look at him go. ” I'd have found it equally appalling. Rabid pit bulls are grotesque no matter what the gender.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Diane,
Whatever you say sweetie.

CSL,
It's an interesting conversation one that I hear Mike Tyson is entertaining.

2:51 PM  
Blogger honkeie said...

I am a big boxing and ufc fan but I must agree with you here. I just dont like the whole women fighting thing

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us