Freudian Slips: Exercise in Futility

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

May 21, 2006

Exercise in Futility

What is going on with doctor’s privileges?
I saw a news report about a clunky robot making hospital rounds with only the live video feed of the treating doctor. Where is the personal touch in a patient talking to a moveable television screen? How robots are going to improve the bedside manner of doctors is a question not worthy of scientific investigation.
While driving in my car, I also heard a report on talk radio about doctors using treadmills while on duty. These working stations allow doctors to exercise while reviewing charts, etc. Proponents are lobbying the efficiency of multi-tasking. I am all for saving steps but this is a step in the wrong direction. If my doctor fails to dispatch a robot then winds up walking in place anyway, why not walk towards me? If the trend is towards robotics and doctored treadmills, it sure won’t do anything to improve the penmanship on new prescriptions.
There is something inherently wrong with a good doctor not having the good time to talk to you in person. Something is amiss with doctors sending metallic effigy proxies or increasing their own health when talking about what ails you. If I called my doctor and heard the gangbuster roar of a treadmill, I might think that I wasn’t receiving undivided attention. But that is just me. If my doctor has to talk to me about something of life and death importance, I prefer it not to happen at eight miles per hour on an intermediate incline. That is how accidents happen.
I do not know which is more impersonal: talking to a hunk of metal housing or working doctors striding fit on treadmills in the far wing of a hospital. When robots get all the exercise in hospital rounds, it’s an exercise in futility.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most times, it is an exercise in futility to voice a complaint about the medical industry, especially the HMOs.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

anonymous,
Consider it done then.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Merci said...

From what I've seen of most physicians' bedside manners these days, the robot might be an improvement. It might be more accurate, as well.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

merci,
What ails them?

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merci, LOL! Ditto!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

I have had occasion to see one of these new fangled walking talking tool boxes at our local hospital. It was there as a tryout. The damned thing was dispensing meds! I noticed a nurse trailing behind it and asked what gives? She said "oh we have to follow up and make sure no mistakes have happened."
Call me stupid here but wouldn't it just save time and money to have the nurse dispense the meds anyway?

Joe, it's been a blast hanging around here for awhile today. Wish I had time to go through every one of the posts I've missed but that just can't happen!

Thanks for the good reads.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Hag,
My mailbox is full of Hag comments. You have been doing some reading. glad you enjoyed the visit here.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us