Freudian Slips: The Numb in Numbers

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

January 29, 2006

The Numb in Numbers

-redemption as a twenty two-year-old

While driving to the mall in 1984, I inherited a strange notion to look to my immediate left. My sight locked onto a 7-Eleven convenience store. Its triteness made me wonder why I even bothered to take my eyes off of the road. As I passed the 7-Eleven, however, one of the more unusual experiences of my life took root. A voice in my head shouted out a three digit number. The voice spooked me because it wasn’t mine. It was a disembodied male voice. He spoke with an authoritative quality, as if every number mattered. Every hair on my body stood at attention. Call it the numb in numbers.

I turned the car around to investigate the immediate area and any significance to the three digit number. Was I going crazy? Driving myself to a mental hospital seemed like a future sentinel event. I reasoned that the voice couldn’t have been a ghost because it took place in my head.

Nevertheless, I parked the car in front of the 7-Eleven store to observe my surroundings. I started to feel at ease which did wonders for my mental health. The loony bin would wait but I still needed to unravel the mystery. While patrons came and went in ordinary commerce, the LOTTERY sign in the window drew my attention. For all intents and purposes, it seemed to be a personal marker and not just an advertisement for the general public. I turned away to view other things in my environment but my gaze kept settling on the lottery sign. Since my mother had recently been receiving winning lottery numbers through osmosis, I decided to test second generational luck. I waltzed into the store and approached the cashier behind the counter.

“I normally don’t do this sort of thing.” I admitted.

“What spend this much money?” wisecracked the snickering cashier.

“I meant play the lottery.”

I went out to a bar later that night to wager the medicinal effects of alcohol on a rattled psyche. Bar side, my thoughts occasionally returned to the voice. For all the mental energy I exerted, I still couldn’t make sense out of the X-File incident. When I left the bar short of inebriation and broke, the lottery ticket remained the only parcel in my wallet.

It wasn’t until the next morning that I learned that the lottery number hit in the exact order that I received them. Hocus Pocus these numbers weren't bogus! For reasons I’ll never know, a voice from beyond made me several hundred dollars richer. Even stranger, I have never heard that strange voice again. Whenever I am short on money, I actually long for that voice to resurface to scare the bejesus out of me. Hell, I’d take Adolph Hitler’s voice if he could cough up a Swiss bank account.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

Ahhhhh. What I would give to have that little voice whispering in MY ear.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

wow! would that I heard a voice giving me lottery advice ... the only voices I hear are the ones in the cubicle down the hall droning on about weekend plans (and that only happens at work!!!)

11:47 AM  
Blogger eatmisery said...

Where and how can I conjure up a voice that will make me richer? I just want my house paid off...that's all.

4:05 PM  
Blogger rfvgardens said...

I had a dream about money once and only once, played the ammount and hit once and only once. I guess lighting like the lottery hit once and only once????

10:59 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Linny,
here hear! he-he.

Pax,
I try not to wander too close to bingo halls. lol.

Eat,
If it happens again, I'll share with my readers.

Gardens,
Sounds like the same voice. stingy, if you ask me. Even a genie gives you three wishes.

12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So! You wish to harness the psychic world? No…you really don’t! The psychic world is not for amateurs. Stick to writing!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Maidy said...

Some little voices tell you to go to 7-11 and play the numbers, while other little voices tell you to hold up the 7-11.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maidink, I think 711 is a good number to play.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

ET,
I have harnessed it a number of times in my life and each time I ran like hell the other way.

Maidink,
It was numbers for the lottery not the wall safe combination. lol.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us