Freudian Slips: Star Trek : Out of this World

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

February 17, 2010

Star Trek : Out of this World

About a year after I became a fringe actor, I realized that watching movies would be forever altered. Understandably, my perspective now includes basic knowledge about the intricacies of how a movie is made and how scenes are staged and filmed. I will be the first one to admit that some of the magic has personally disappeared from movie watching. However, my knowledge base of breaking down film far exceeds any FX glitz lost due to my time spent on a set as an actor.
With that being said, this movie critic just got around to watching the 2009 movie Star Trek. I am not your phaser wielding traditional die hard Trekkie per say. My only allegiance goes to the original Star Trek characters because I enjoyed watching the TV show as a kid growing up. From there, my interest in the adulterated spin-off series fell off the earth so to speak.
I recently watched the Star Trek movie with jaw agape over its sublime excellence. The movie was flawless in terms of casting, acting, script writing, sound, musical score and post production editing. There was not one scene or dialogue line written off to exposition. Its sound was dynamic and moving. The transition editing was seamless. Every element of this movie fell into place for me like kismet symmetry.
I shudder thinking about how scripted this movie could have been casting younger versions of the USS Enterprise icons but it was delivered with such creative panache and fine acting that I am at warp drive now trying to conjure just superlatives. It was a visually stunning Roddenberry franchise on stellar parade. Spock it out if you get a chance.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger mommanator said...

I thought it was done really well.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

mommanator,
I'm still waiting for Star Trek's biggest fan, Dave Hoffman, to weigh in on this movie. There is not truth to the rumor his hip hugging beeper at DCA was a prototype phaser.

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us