Freudian Slips: Wishing Upon a Star

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

March 04, 2008

Wishing Upon a Star

I am not one to want to celebrate my birthday by taking off from work. On the anniversary of my 22nd year with my employer, however, I felt the desire to take a day off from work to myself. Surviving the twenty-two years with my humor and sanity still intact, seemed reason enough to recognize the personal benchmark.
I have been pondering an early retirement plan now offered at my job anyway so what is one day off? The early retirement plan being tabled essentially waves up to three years from the mandatory 25 years of service. Although I could not draw a Lincoln penny from my 401K retirement until 2016, I wished upon a star that I had another income stream to fall back on to retire now. A person should feel a sense of accomplishment from their vocation but the rewards are becoming fewer and far between for this attritional social worker. While chugging to a retirement age in my full time occupation, I started to feel unsuccessful at my side businesses. If only I were a more devoted writer, a more gifted actor, or a better Ebay businessman then I could retire with my pruning peers now.
From the early morning on, I fought compulsions that vacillated from the tease of retirement to working harder at other endeavors. Then I reported to my regular job, not even surrendering in taking a day off from the same job I have done for the last 22 years. My phone never stopped ringing. The phone calls were not from a publisher, my casting agent, or a single buyer from Ebay.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In order to get your head back into focus, do the following: try walking in the shoes of those that are unemployed; can't find a job and about to lose their house or apartment. Stop your whining and be grateful that you have a job!!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

anonymous,
Duly noted.

1:05 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

7From one who is retired-it's great! however I don't have children that need college,cars & etc. I wouldn't even think about retiring until the kiddos are OLDER!
Plus where would you get fodder for writing if you didn't work! We love those stories. Like anonymous said be grateful you have a job, and I will add that realy isn't too bad, you Can hide out if ya must, and other bene's like perscription plan,medical plan, should I continue. O did I forget those wonderful co-workers! It is nice to dream of retirement though, but MOMMANATOR says you must stick it out longer even if they have a package- you don't want to be starving! actor, and I know your kids don't!guess that's enuff said!

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with anon. and mommanator, good advice.

Were you explaining or complaining?
There is a big difference between them, you know!

9:04 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

mommanator,
Good advice, as usual. You miss not speaking your mind to co-workers. Glad to be a dartboard.

Et,
I was explaining but reading it again,it can sound like complaining to someone with less options.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Heavy sighs. I have the same phone ringing on and on in my office, and I have until 2016 to go, too. I'll have the service time in 2013, but not the age...

There's nothing wrong with wishing for change. You can work hard and do good at other endeavors.

There will be opportunities within our workplace over the next few years, once the economic dust settles. You could think about a change from within the golden handcuffs, errr, pension plan.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Merci,
Do you still want to retire to a cruise ship?

9:19 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

ABSOLUTELY!!! But I'll settle for a farm in Iowa, when it comes down to it.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Merci,
Co-worker at work vacations on a farm in Idaho in the middle of nowhere every year. It is her stress relief. She comes back telling dustbowl stories of quiet time, star gazing, good eating, and horseback riding. hard to argue.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

I've had a couple of vacations at that farm in Iowa. I never sleep better, or breathe better, than I do there.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Merci,
It is going to be tough catching a cruise ship in Iowa. Im sticking closer to the shore but I hear ya!

7:54 PM  
Blogger Zelda Parker said...

After some careful consideration the penalty is too great. JG remarked yesterday that there is also a penalty of 10%, by the IRS for the ERI. Not too early to plan and dream of the next chapter though. Break a leg....

8:09 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Zelda,
JH has since informed that you have to be at least 50 too. So that leaves me to only fream and write about the next chapter.

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us