Freudian Slips: Every Breath I Take

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

October 08, 2006

Every Breath I Take

After a gym workout, I occasionally cool down in the swimming pool. I prefer to take advantage of this opportunity when there is nobody else using the pool. There is nothing more serene than lying submerged in still water by my lonesome. Many people do not like being alone in their skin. For better or worse, I have never been quite like other people.
Left alone in this world to my own devices, I will lay with my eyes closed floating on my back in water. I embrace the weightless buoyancy by paddling just enough to avoid sinking. The void of outside noises, voices, and distractions is soothing. With no waves or ripples and just my nose teetering above tepid water, my worries dissipate. I do not know if it is a logical extension of myself or a spiritual experience but something happens when I skim across the top of a swimming pool. If I listen closely, I can hear myself breathe. Most people take their breath for granted but noticing the very breath giving life is exactly the exclamation point. I draw deep breaths through my lungs and push air out through my mouth. It magnifies the sound of my breath in an echo chamber. A purposeful oxymoron, my breath makes me feel alive like no other feeling on this planet. Whenever I recreate this wonderful feeling, it is as if I am in a warm womb preparing for birth. Without fail, I ask God what I should be doing with my precious breaths in my life, however many may be left. To what end I do not know but the answer inadvertently always comes back to writing. To keep writing.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Pax Romano said...

Hope floats...and apparently so do talented authors...with the exception of Virginia Wolfe.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

i guess no editing was needed on that last piece. lol

9:14 PM  
Blogger CS said...

I always find that swimming laps is like meditation - just you and your breath, while the water slides over your skin. Very Zen.

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be still and listen!

6:36 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

csl,
very well put.

et,
too much catering going on for me to listen lately.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this piece sounds like it came write (lol) from my brain. i just recently discovered how peaceful floating atop the water really is! it brings me piece of mind.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Anonymous,
See you in the pool.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us