Freudian Slips: The Puck Stops Here

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

September 28, 2006

The Puck Stops Here

A perfectionist rarely appreciates something for what it is. Enormous negative connotations and drawbacks exist for this personality type. Allow me to expound on a positive element of perfectionism. I often look at something and idealistically try to improve on its existing condition.
Three years ago, I purchased a secondhand Super Chexx bubble hockey arcade game that came off a shore point vending route at the end of summer. The dome proved virtually scratchless to the naked eye and wear and tear on the gears was minimal. Although the eccentric acquisition was a steal at a discounted price, it exhausted my disposable income for quite awhile. Nobody is perfect.
Readers familiar with this popular arcade game know that the manufacturer, Innovative Concepts in Entertainment, only produces two teams, USA vs. Canada. I decided to customize the game. I made an all Pennsylvania bubble hockey game pitting an all-time greatest Philadelphia Flyers verses an all-time greatest Pittsburgh Penguins team. Of course, I rigidly assigned the players their natural position on the ice without any deviation. After two sleepless nights deciding which players should take the ice based on downloaded statistics weighed against personal preference, I cleaned and polished the game inside and out. I then removed all the moving parts and arduosuly handpainted the hockey player figurines to represent official team colors. Using a dainty brush, it took me 30 hours over four weeknights to painstakingly paint, shellack, decal, and nametag the hockey players into playing shape. Everytime my wife came down the basement to check on me I was burning the midnight oil brushstroking another bootstrap to a marvelous sheen.
The custom Super Chexx game is a real conversation piece for parties. I couldn't be happier with the results although I must endure other people's scrutiny about my need to be so meticulous. So be it. The game came out absolutely perfect. That is until this very moment. I just remembered that when this game came off its vending route I forgot to remove a handful of errant quarters in the base. So I got that to do tonight.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To all who read this blog, the picture does not do it justice it is truly something to see. Di

10:05 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Diane,
You're too much. Correction. You're married to Joe Too Much.

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, your game looks great, but is anyone allowed to play it? I'm not sure I'd want anyone to touch it after all of that detailed work.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Jessica,
If this were baseball, I know you would not be able to throw a 95 mph fastball at Pat Burrel's head! lol

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is awesome. I best people would pay big bucks for it!

7:22 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

anonymous,
A flyers fan?

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Flyers, Eagles, Phillies and Sixers fan. Have pitty on me!

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us