Freudian Slips: Fighting Fire with Fire

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

August 31, 2006

Fighting Fire with Fire

- a freak fire too close to home
Half past midnight, I sat at my computer editing a chapter of a manuscript that featured a dozen mentally retarded clients exiting their home on a fire drill. Both a writer’s block and a fierce electrical storm quickly moved into the area. Afraid of literary failure and a lightning strike, I shut down the computer to retire for the night.
I no sooner laid down into bed when all hell broke loose. A noise on the rooftop first dismissed as a rain of frogs turned out to be the thud of hailstones. A simultaneous crack of lightning and thunder got my wife out of bed to look around. Soon sirens could be heard in the distance. When my wife cracked a bedroom window and smelled smoke, I knew this was not the fictional fire drill I labored to pen. The sights and sounds of a firetruck going passed our house finally rustled me out of bed. I went to the backyard to see if our woods had caught fire. Nothing. By now firetrucks from three neighboring towns occupied our small cul de sac. My wife and I ventured out the front door to look around. I didn’t have far to look. I witnessed amber flames spilling out the roof of our neighbor’s house. By now, concerned neighbors scurried about in their pajamas.
Lightning had made a direct strike on a kid’s bedroom, in what an eyewitness described as a freaky horizontal bolt that jetted sideways across the sky. Everyone got out of the struck house alive but the children barely escaped injury. Frightened by the hailstones dropping on the roof, the children scurried to their parent’s bedroom right before lightning paid a visit. Thank goodness.
Storm gone and fire extinguished, the inspiration I lacked in editing the like subject matter returned to pay dividends onto my page. Sometimes you have to wait for enlightenment to fight fire with fire.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your inspiration went beyond, "Be still and listen!"

9:08 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

anything with bells and whistles flys in the face of that.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

Let's see; first a rain of frogs, followed by hail stones and a lightning strike...are the locusts next?

10:15 AM  
Blogger Nazli Hardy said...

Joe - another enlightening story! Meanwhile, did you change the plot of the story to a tropical hurricane that rages across the East Coast ...?

Rained out and overcast in the East Coast
Nazli

3:25 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Pax,
There is just too much Revelations in you, my firend.

Dr.
That would mean..not a dry eye in the house.

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice story, di

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

di was here

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us