Freudian Slips: Nearly Invisible for Invincible

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

August 27, 2006

Nearly Invisible for Invincible

-Joe Tornatore acting nearly invisible under their noses.
After filming as a background extra on the set of Invincible, it took a year’s worth of production for the movie to move to the foreground and arrive in theatres. I waited the four trimester pregnant pause before seizing the opportunity to see if a discernable shot of my background work got left back on the cutting room floor. Without further adieu, the tale of the tape has arrived.
In the reenactment of a September 16, 1976 Eagles vs Giants game, I played a fervent Eagles fan. After Giants QB Craig Morton throws an incomplete pass, the camera switches to an atmospheric sideline shot of the Eagles bench players. I do not wish to get ahead of myself so cue the drum roll and roll out the red carpet. Please don’t dare blink or sneeze either because you will miss my scene stealer that is sure to leave Hollywood abuzz. Tinsel town rewarded my curiosity for acting in my first movie with a thousand one, thousand two, thousand three second cameo. Squinting is strongly recommended for the blurred obscure image of an Eagles jacketed extra cheering from the first row amidst a sea of fans, albeit many of them inflatable dummies. Background acting never felt so much like a botched holdup at the back door of a Philadelphia mannequin factory. While the actor may be nowhere to be found, a retro Eagles jacket hanging in my bedroom is now a single pixel display on the moving silver screen near you.
Upon reflecting on playing the part of a Philadelphia Sports fan, my acting could not have been more superb without garnering Oscar consideration for Best Extra Deep Cover. After all, my high expectations turned crumbling disappointment is…what being an Eagles fan is all about.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a perfect beginning to this years Eagles season. Be prepared to be disappointed.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

From the Utopian Times August 27th, 2006 review of the film, Invincible:

"...if there is one thing to recommend this, otherwise dreadful Rocky rehash, it is background extra, Joe Tornatore who plays "Fan in Eagles Jacket"; Tornatore who appears for all of five seconds in the film, steals the limelight away from Wahlberg and the rest of the cast. I think it is safe to assume that this New Jersey native has a long career ahead of him as a jacket wearing extra..."

11:17 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Pax,
not only was that funny but you gave me far too much credit. I only appeared in the film for three seconds. nice of you to put your two seconds in though.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Alan Barton said...

Joe

I believe the life of an extra can be a tough one sometimes punctuated by small victories.

A few years ago I appeared as an extra in a popular UK TV Teen Soap called Hollyoaks. I spent all day on set in my role as a reporter. I feared I would end up on the cutting room floor. In the end I only managed to get three seconds screen time.

All was not lost though as I also managed to get in on the photo shoot they did that day for publicity shots. So my screen time was brief but I did get my ugly mush (face) in every TV magazine that week.

A short moment of "fame" that will last a lifetime (for me).

Alan

P.S. - Thank you for your words of encouragement on my blog. Much appreciated.

3:37 PM  
Blogger honkeie said...

I must say when I saw the preview of this movie the other day I thought about your original post about being an extra. This is totaly tits man!!!!(or cool-however one says it, it still means the samething)

12:09 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Honk,
More face time would have been way cooler. oh well.

5:22 PM  
Blogger honkeie said...

Got to start somewhere, any advise to someone thinking about giving the acting thing(not really acting lol) a try?

11:00 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

honk,
if i remember. you are in north jersey. Get some headshots taken then contact NYC's Central Casting office. Sean handles non-SAG appointments.

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice story di

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe,

I just can't wait for the wardrobe royalties to start flowing.

2:46 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

t,
funny you should mention that.

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us