Freudian Slips: Self-Motivational Notes on Social Work

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

January 03, 2006

Self-Motivational Notes on Social Work

In anticipation of a challenging year on the job, which carries with it uncertainty over relocation and reorganization, I decided to collect my thoughts. I am posting these notes at my desk as a source of strength.
Self-Motivational Notes on Social Work by Joe Tornatore
  • Social work is a journey of a million miles taken one step at a time. Walk the walk regardless of distance needed to travel.
  • In crisis intervention, people sometimes take weeks to completely fall apart. Realize that you might not be there on the day they really do. Then be there.
  • The travel into a human heart starts with open eyes. Fall asleep at the wheel and it becomes a dead end to no means.
  • The employment of one common denominator can erode a multitude of differences. Do the math then hire within.
  • It is not in our job duties to care but its value can be found in human nature. Avoid not having a care in the world no matter what your job is.
  • There are core values in teaching tough love – toughness when you have to be, love when you ought to be, and valuing the difference.
  • A willingness to bleed for a cause may put you in battle with those who don’t want to even get dirty. Commitment conquers.
  • Social work is a calling. Answering your telephone late on a Friday can help your conscience sleep at night. Go tell any insomniac who has never worked late.
  • Embrace ethics and be true to yourself. Feeling good in your skin is better than feeling bad in cover up.
  • It is easier to make a person laugh than cry. Take the easy way out in interpersonal relations.

Joe Tornatore

1-3-06

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger eatmisery said...

I'm with you on the "feeling good in your skin" one. That's so important.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

eatmisery,
I stole that quote from a potato I knew before I ate it. lol.

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, "The travel into a human heart starts with open eyes." I love that!! I work in a place that has a lot of African Americans. After my accident I went from the 2nd floor to the 4th floor to work. That might not sound like a big deal but the building is very large with a lot of people. I barely knew anyone. When I would say hello to some of the African Americans they would put their head down and not even acknowledge that I had spoken to them. Being a glutton for punishment, but trying to make new friends on my new work assignment, I kept on trying. very day even if they didn't answer I would say hello to them. I almost said screw it but gave it more time. Little by little some of the people started to say hello back and now most of them are people I talk to on a daily basis. Looking a person straight into their eyes is like looking into their soul and that person looks into your soul. They want to give you a chance even though they sometimes they think they can't trust white people. I'm happy that they gave me the opportunity to know them and to be able to say they are my friends. Catherine Mary

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, how true, how true! Great incite into your psyche. The journey for me was delightful and intriguing. This only proves that you have not missed your calling. Good post!!!

8:34 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Catherine Mary,
well, looks like the eyes have it.

Et,
so there is still hope for me yet?

6:47 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

video x,
i feel almost important. somebody quoted me.

vdeo x,
thanks for pointing out that comment glich on my dry cleaning story. i was unaware of the problem. not sure why people can't post there.

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us