Freudian Slips: The Primadonna of Cheeses

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

December 06, 2005

The Primadonna of Cheeses

This wasn’t the first time my mom turned me onto something cheesy. In her generous way, mom bought me a block of Primadonna cheese. I had never heard of this cheese but mom has been around the block way longer than me.

Joe Tornatore’s kitchen has been experimenting with this robust nutty tasting cheese to everyone’s delight. A cook only cooks food to eat it but a chef cooks food for the passion of the whole experience from preparation to digestion. So I shredded Primadonna cheese into chicken and broccoli rabe wraps. It wasn't just Gouda, it was great! It is easy to work with and by gosh I can cut the cheese with anyone. My real find though was using it as a topping on breaded chicken cutlets. Kids, don’t try this at home without parental supervision. Not only did the topping offer wonderful red and green colors but it woke up the sleeping chicken with panache. As my hungry wife stood looking over my shoulder as I prepared the dish, I couldn’t help but muse that a cheese had been named after her.

Primadonna cheese cannot be found in every deli case but if you look hard enough you will find it. The $16.99 per pound price may set you back unless you fortuitously run into my mother while shopping. If that be your lucky day, then the cheese and the rest of your groceries are free.

I have included the recipe. If you know how to make breaded chicken cutlets, rid yourself of boredom and skip down to the topping portion of the recipe.

ZESTY ITALIAN CHICKEN CUTLETS By Joe Tornatore

1 – 11/2 pounds of chicken cutlets 8 ounces or more of Italian flavored bread crumbs 1 egg ¼ cup or more of vegetable oil ½ clove of minced elephant garlic 2 ounces of Primadonna cheese splash of white wine or cooking wine 2 tablespoons of salted butter ¼ of finely chopped habanera pepper 3-4 leaves of fresh basil

Cut chicken lengthwise into fillet cutlets. Scramble egg and dunk cutlets into batter. Coat battered chicken with Italian flavored bread crumbs. Pour vegetable oil into frying pan on medium heat. Add minced garlic to frying pan. Cook garlic until it sizzles then leave it in the pan. Fry breaded chicken until golden brown on each side. This takes approximately 7 minutes per side depending on thickness of cutlets.

While the chicken is cooking, it is time to prepare the topping. Cut or shave 2 ounces of Primadonna cheese into a mixing bowl. Add splash of white wine, butter, chopped fresh basil, and ¼ teaspoon of habanera pepper to a small mixing bowl. Do not add too much habanera. You can always add more later to taste. Stir.

After the chicken has been cooked, melt the topping ingredients in the microwave for less than a minute. Stop microwaving when all ingredients have melted. It should yield a creamy consistency. Taste. Before it cools and settles, drizzle the medley sauce overtop breaded chicken cutlets.

Serve hot to freeloading guests.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Tai said...

Hey!
Love cheese, love recipes, love cheeeeeesy recipes!
Thanks for sharing!

11:12 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

ummm...sounds good!

1:37 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Oh Joe...now you know I'm just going to have to try this soon!

6:57 PM  
Blogger Zelda Parker said...

What time is dinner?

7:24 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Tai,
cheese recipes are not that hard to top.

Lee ann,
many a meal has not come out over here. I made this goulash tonight that nobody would touch but me.

Linny,
I have never wanted anyone to cut the cheese so bad.

Zelda,
Last time I invited you(picnic), you stood me up. lol.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Your recipe sounds great!And I was about to suggest that we each post our favorite recipe on our blogs sometime this week. You got ahead of me! I'll have to rifle through my recipes this weekend.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

merci,
i felt guilty having my blog over a year now and I never posted a single recipe. Recipes are meant to be shared.

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us