Freudian Slips: Last Call

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

October 06, 2007

Last Call

Old Man Sullivan reeked of a broken man never far from his last beer. He floundered at the end of a life of hard knocks with alcohol fueling his veins. In order to provide the necessities of life, he continued to work longer than his wrinkled body could cooperate.
Sullivan and I both worked as grungy dishwashers at a busy American fare restaurant in 1980. It was a second job for me, a full time job for Old Man Sullivan. After clocking out for the night at work, we usually sat barside emptying free draft beers until closing time.
Sullivan only saw what was in front of him and I should have kept it that way. For some strange reason one night, I felt compelled to share with him an unusual story. Amidst the suds of another downed beer, my conversation digressed to something abstract. I came to find out that anything not right in front of John he had trouble digesting. My interest in psychic phenomena had no business in his life but I put it right in front of him.
I said, “What do you make of this? Somebody in my family can tell when a person’s time is up on this planet.”
His eyes rolled then his expression tightened. “What the hell do you mean? What are you talking about?”
“They carry an aura, a white light around their heads prior to death.”
“Are you talking about yourself?" asked Sullivan. "This sounds like malarky. Are you the one in your family that can do this crazy sort of thing?”
I tried to relieve his raised fears. “No, I can’t do that. I am more ordinary. Just night dishwashing like you, Sully.”
That night Old Man Sullivan staggered the short distance walk from the restaurant to the seedy motel he called home. Inside the cramped motel room, he found his beloved wife dead in bed. Old Man Sullivan never looked at me square again. He rarely looked at me ever again.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Joe, This blog made me extremely sad. He must have been lost without his wife.
I have a story to share. Gloria and I use to go to bingo with our friends every Tuesday night. There were three elderly ladies who I talked to, Mary, Mary, and Laura. One night I
I was talking to them and Mary #2 had this bright yellow aura around her body. While I was talking to them I kept looking back and forth to see if the others had one. They did not. I had never seen this before. I went back to my sister and the others and my sister asked me what was wrong. I told everyone the story and except for Gloria they just stared at me in disbelief. I said if Mary is not here next week I'm really going to freak out. The next day I called our other family member and talked to her about it. She told me that Mary was sick or someone in her family was really sick. The next week I went back to Bingo and Mary was not there. I asked Laura where she was. Laura told me Mary just found out she had a lump on her breast AND her brother died over the weekend. I could have passed out. I went back to the table and Gloria asked me what happened to Mary so I told them. Our friends were shocked and asked me if this happened to me a lot. I told them this was the first time I saw an aura but I dream. Sometimes my dreams come true. They look at me differently now. They think I'm strange.

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If anyone is wondering what happened to Mary sih is doing great and is still playing at 82. God bless her.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I want to know is; are you still keeping a file on me? I forgot about the file until I read this post! You know who this is, so I'm signing it "anonymous"

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you mean? He keeps files on people, oh my God!

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CM...don't worry....he only keeps files on paranormal activity!!!!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Catherine Mary,
I call them X-files.

Anonymous,
Yes I still have the file on you. I also have the homemade videotape. Forget the file. That bizarre video alone could have gotten you into a nursing home at age 55 instead of a retirement community.

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, Do you mean "X" rated files?

Believe me when I say I have "X" rated files of you.


Anonymous

A Retirement Community, really, Please send me. I need it. And who says I'm 55?

2:02 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

Well Joe I sometimes have dreams and can tell what is gonna happen to someone in my family. Also a few years back, after my granny died, periodically the pictures would fall off the walls or the plant she gave Jim would wilt, I got to be a thing when someone was gonna die in the family. It has seased, but I have always thought it was her rambling around my house just to prepare me for things to come-Who knows!

9:26 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

catherine mary,
full length films no less. lol a bit off the subject aren't we?

mommanator,
I have always wondered if the experiences you describe are a gift bestowed upon us or a curse.

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us