Freudian Slips: An Oscar Sweep

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

May 08, 2007

An Oscar Sweep

To keep up with the rising cost of living and some unexpected bills, realities dictated the need to generate supplemental income to remain in the black ink of the household accounting ledger. Initially, I refused to believe that I could not pay my half of the household bills. My hardworking successful wife kept telling me to go for a promotion all the way to the car dealership to pick up her brand new 2007 Toyota Camry Solara convertible.

I replied, “But I love my work.”

Diane said, “Then get a second job.”

“I have a second job." I corrected. "I sell sports memorabilia on Ebay.”

Diane reeked of a new car scent when she urged, “Get another job.”

“But I am a writer. I work hard at writing. You know that I am trying to get my latest book published.”

She said, “Get another job.”

“But I am an actor. It’s a cutthroat competitive business. I might only work a couple of times a year. Not many actors earn regular paychecks.”

She harped, “Get a job that pays.”

Beyond the day job as a social worker, I took secondary employment as a janitor cleaning commercial buildings. I use none of my Master’s degree emptying trash at midnight but it is an honest job. On the day that I started my janitorial job, I received the following serendipitous email regarding a movie role that I applied for long before the production date got delayed and my money became scarce.

Congratulations! You have been granted an audition for the role of janitor in the full length movie The Uranium Project.
-When I took a second job as a janitor, the second rate actor in me never imagined an Oscar sweep.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger mommanator said...

O JT you'll be sweeping the credits up now!
So why dont you go for a promotion. Same hours, less travel,less wear and tear on the car, plus they do need someone with a sense of humor in some of those positions!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

mommanator,
If I go for a promotion, I will lose client contact. It is the only lifeline to my work. It is the only thing I draw happiness from on the job.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Zelda Parker said...

Isn't it you that always points toward the ironies in life. There are many ways to find happiness ......

9:02 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Zelda,
Pax says as a writer I sometimes hit the reader over the head with irony. I think God, as a creator, hits harder.

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh so funny! I love your writing style.

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have found happiness, then you have found the riches in life and need not worry about the material offerings that surround you. If you have found happiness, there is no need for a promotion, an expensive car, etc. Your happiness in life should not be disrupted by other's dissatisfaction with their own life, thus, should not be trying to change you. : )

6:43 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Grinchy,
Ah, the balance between one job you love that does not pay the bills and leaving a job you love for money.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Jessica,
Maybe one day we will act and write the same. lol

7:26 PM  
Blogger e said...

I know exactly how you feel, Joe.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

e,
It hits home. I thought of you when I wrote this post. The dual irony.

2:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us