Freudian Slips: Losing My Religion

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

May 10, 2007

Losing My Religion

The incoming cell phone call in the supermarket cereal aisle informed me that I had been cast as a featured extra in the film The Family Rubin directed by Matthew Garrett. His first assistant director happened to be from my last movie, The Greek American, so I had been recommended for the small part in a single scene of the short length movie. For the record, singing Hebrew on film is as challenging as speaking Greek. It almost made me long for the days of filming the Indie movie Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna with a cast and crew who only spoke English when necessary.

The plot of The Family Rubin exposes the seedy underbelly of a Jewish family spiraling to crisis. The set location was the Platt Memorial Chapel in Cherry Hill, NJ. The role called for my mischievous nature to act out of character pious. There I sat on a pew playing a Jewish synagogue worshipper dressed to the nines. Wearing a Yamika beanie over a tailored suit, in cantor rich fashion I sang a few bars of the Shema in Hebrew on camera. I do not know which was more painful to the ear - my singing or my Hebrew. This much is certain, for a film credit I will do just about anything, even change religions.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"For a film credit I will do just about anything, even change religions."

I hope I never read/hear you say, "The devil made me do it."

8:30 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

anonymous,
Hell of an audition, the devil would say.

8:34 AM  
Blogger jennylin said...

way to go mr joe !!!

one of these days hollywood is going to steal you away

wondering if you will remember those of us who "knew you when"

8:52 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Jennylin,
Not a chance. If a publisher stole me away, that would make me happy but bit acting is just a hobby. In all probability, I will be a case manager until the day I retire.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Betty said...

Don't worry....you look MAHVELOUS!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

Oy Gevalt! You might be become the Hasidic Matinee Idol!

4:54 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Elizabeth,
So RUBINesque of you.

Pax,
Is it better than the Indie movie channel?

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us