Freudian Slips: For Granted

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

July 14, 2005

For Granted

I thought you first would have given up on me when I told you repeated grade school fibs.
…But you didn’t.
I thought you would have exhausted your patience when teaching me how to play Mozart on piano.
…But you didn’t.
I thought you surely wouldn’t accept my apology when I totally forgot your sixteenth birthday.
…But you did.
I thought you would be jealous when I flirted with your college roommate.
…But you weren’t.
I thought you certainly wouldn’t understand when I had no money for yet another Christmas.
…But you did.
I thought I loved you all of my life when I never attempted to show or say it.
…But I wanted to.
I thought you would completely forgive me when I failed to visit you following surgery.
…But you couldn’t.
I knew I would live to regret the things I could have done but didn’t.
…I have…but you didn’t.
by Joseph Tornatore
1982
published in 1984 American Collegiate Poets Anthology

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger justrose said...

i love all the details in this and, especially, the ending.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Jr,
thanks. Years ago, I sent this poem to author and educator Leo Buscaglia hoping he would use it in his next book. He kindly wrote me back but he took nothing For Granted.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

It sounds like something written to a sibling maybe? I really liked it, it makes you remember all of the things you would rather not admit.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

bipolarprincess,
I have had a goddess vist my blog but never a princess. Glad you liked my poem.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us