Freudian Slips: No Room at the Inn

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

January 05, 2009

No Room at the Inn

My poor wife has been worried about her uncommon forgetfulness. I showed an initial level of support trying to convince her that she has been under an incredible amount of stress and responsibility which is impairing her mental faculties indefnitely. When she refused to believe me, she irrationally convinced herself she was suffering from early onset dementia. I could no longer get her to think in any other terms so I joined her worry wart program.
When she addressed me, I would say, “Why did you just call me by your first husband’s name? I began to prey upon her insecurities even more by asking her if she remembered fake memories from our past. Out of the blue, I would say we just talked about that yesterday. My torment about her forgetfulness peaked at a Christmas party, when repetitive bombardments in a family atmosphere had her ready for nursing home admission.

After the party, I felt a pinch guilty about my ornery behavior on my way back to my car. As I got in the car, a strange feeling swept over me. My leather seats were warm. I had just walked through frigid outdoor temperatures but the cabin operated at a comfortable 73 degrees. The dashboard was all lit up. I noticed that I had half of a tank of gas less than I remembered. Then it dawned on me. I forgot to turn off my car. I had left the car engine running for the last three and a half hours….the whole time I tortured my wife at the party..about her forgetfulness.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I saw your car that night and didn't really think anything of it since it looked like a mail box was attached to the rear window. I knocked, the lights were on, but you weren't home.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How ironic can you get? You, pretending to be Charles Boyer's character in "Gaslight" and D playing the roll of Ingrid Bergman as his wife, while your auto uses up most of its gas.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

anonymous,
funny.

et,
irony coming back to take money from my pocket.

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's ironic beyond words. Please inform et that four days after her prediction I received an offer on the house.....we'll see if it comes to fruition..

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zelda, it is bearing fruit as we speak. Good Luck!

7:25 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Zelda and Et,
Can anyone by the life of Reilly tell me when you two are getting together to prognositicate?

11:04 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

Joe I am so glad your forgetfullness got the best of you this time! I would kill you if I ever found out that you were doing that to me! Your wife must be a saint!

4:26 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

mommanator,
I never said it was easy being her.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

Oh the IRONY of it all!!!

I hope your wife had a good laugh over this.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

pax,
It made her feel a whole lot better. Me, I have been driving around for days trying to find the cheapest gas station. lol

11:29 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Who could blame your wife if she started calling her third husband by her second husband's name???

11:03 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

merci,
interesting take. lol

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, Have you ever heard the saying, "What goes around, comes around".

Tell "D" not to worry, she thinks she is going crazy because of who she is married to.

Love ya, Catherine Mary

3:44 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

catherine mary,
thanks for your support. lol

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any time Joe! You know I have your back. Love ya, Catherine Mary

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just realized I forgot to comment!

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us