Freudian Slips: Epiphany Speaking

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

December 10, 2008

Epiphany Speaking

I entered the reception area early looking for my client before taking a seat. While I accepted Epiphany’s invitation to attend her high school graduation ceremonies, I was not quite sure she would remember my promise to come.

I saw Epiphany from quite a distance standing there in a pomp and circumstance proccessional besides her classmates. She was prettier than most of her classmates but she had too many hurdles in life to stop and flaunt her beauty. Epiphany moved over to me awkwardly and clumsily in her ivory cap and gown like a hard luck woman. She picked up a follower from the gathering crowd. She led this mustached Mexican man by the hand. He seemed surprised by her spontaneous actions but he looked proud to be in her company. I surmised by his ragtag attire he was given his invitation to be her guest at the ceremony much too late.
“Joe, this is the Mexican I told you I was dating,”
I asked, “Honche?”
“Yeah, you know the farmer who lives with nine members of his family in a trailer in Vineland.”
“I see.” No sooner did my handshake extend Honche’s way. Epiphany was onto the next item on her agenda.
“He doesn’t understand much English so I speak for the both of us. Joe, we have some great news to share. Honche and I are getting married! Look at my engagement ring.” She squealed with glee. “He used his mother’s credit card. Can you believe it?”
Before I knew it, Epiphany dangled a purported diamond ring in my face. “Well congratulations….on the graduation and the engagement. I guess I am here to take it all in...what a show.”
Honche spoke a sentence in Spanish. I translated one word…who.
Epiphany conversed with her soon to be husband. “...Joe is my social worker.”
Honche’s dark eyebrows worked a grimace. “Pregunta. Que es social worker?”
Epiphany’s kiss to his cheek and her canyon wide smile reassured him but only momentarily.
“Honche, I never said anything to you before but I am mentally retarded!”
His face shot blank. I said, “You got to love her.”

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did they get married and live happily ever after, or...at least until he took command of the English language?

9:23 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

Ya gotta love those mentally challenged! Isn't he challenged too. How do they communicate- does she do Spanish too! If so she has command of 2 languages and he only one!
I lve her name!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

anonymous,
click on the link under the title to follow thier story.

mommanator,
he understood more english than he was expressive.

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

O.K.,I read their story. Are you sure they got married in 03? Did you attend the rites...or at least see the marriage certificate?

9:01 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

anonymous,
to answer your question...no. and it adds to the mystique.

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us