Freudian Slips: Closing the Book

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

February 19, 2007

Closing the Book

OF MIGHT AND MANACLE
…The Ties That Bind
by Joseph Tornatore
I am proud to announce that I have finished penning a fictional novel called Of Might and Manacle. The plot evolves around a psychologist, Dr. Dexter Margold, who accepts a post at a turbulent cottage at a state institution called Nova Egypt Developmental Center. Located in the flat pinelands of New Jersey during 1989, the novel transports the reader through the insane normalcy of institutionalization. It is a graphic portrayal of 21 dually diagnosed clients and the motley crew staff responsible for their care.
While the original draft gathered only dust on a bookshelf much of the time, in the end it took me six long years to write this 387 page novel over a span of twenty years. It took me away from my family and it took a part of my soul. In my forty four years on this planet, writing this book was the hardest thing that I have ever done and with any literary luck it may turn out to be my greatest accomplishment.
The 75 book characters that I created are as real to me as any I have ever met in my social work career. Each character seemingly visited my imagination. They shot ideas to the forefront of my mind as if they wanted more air time or character development. They became a part of me in some strange way. While figments of my imagination, my characters are now equally hard to leave behind on the flat copy. Nevertheless, it is time to close the book on this chapter of my life. It is time to turn Of Might and Manacle over to trusted proofreaders, the US copyright office, and the search for a viable publisher...even if its publication takes me another twenty years.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!!

7:40 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

et,
so now you have something to read.

8:11 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

It's about time! Congrats, I'm sure it will be a best seller if only to your friends and Foes! Good luck with getting it published

11:28 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

mommanator,
none of my characters should surprise you. lol

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, Good Job! If I'm in it I hope I don't recognize myself. (Psych!

12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck Joe!
In Italy someone will be waiting for its publication

5:02 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

catherine mary,
your character plays a medium who dabbles in the occult. i gave you a cape and hid you behind a minstrel show. not.

Chi,
How is the baby? good to hear from you. since i am waiting for this book to be published in english, its italian translation you will have to wait for even longer. lol

8:19 AM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

hmmm,
wasn't I supposed to be reading this during my convalecense.

Thank god, for Stephen King!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Pax,
Your healing powers are too miraculous for my slow writing skills. I just packaged it up and will be mailing it tomorrow. I am wondering when you are due back at work because I will be there monday and a hand delivery might be faster.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

Joe,
Mail it, as I think that the doc is going to insist on at least one more week at home (I see him on Friday, and originally he wanted me out until the 26th of March... I can't imagine being out that long).

Be that as it may, I pretty much know that I will be able to devote next week to the task!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

pax,
ok, tomorrow it gets mailed. you just can't wait to see your name in the dedication section, huh?

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, A Medium? Now that's cool!

3:08 AM  
Blogger Zelda Parker said...

Congradulations! Wish you every success in publishing you masterpiece.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

zelda,
now the hard part begins.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us