Freudian Slips: A Stitch In Time

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

July 27, 2006

A Stitch In Time

Our household has practically everything in place and a place for practically everything. While the children are generally accepting of my Felix Unger extremist ways, they have questioned the efficacy of certain chores. Picking up sticks in our woods, vacuuming the wall to wall carpet in the garage, or alphabetizing the spice rack jars are a few of the intolerable cruelties they have endured. Lists, plastic sheet protectors, tags, and labels ultra organize our house where organization trumps sanitation but sanitation runs a close second. I readily admit that it is not easy living with me. My prayers for those who try.
Inside a windowless steamy walk-in closet, my son Jimmy and I recently tackled a repair job. Although Jimmy clearly wanted to leave well enough alone, I needed a helper to reorganize closet organizer shelving. After convincing Jimmy that lopping three more inches off a top shelf would make a positive difference in the world, Jimmy begrudgingly returned to sawing. After a few minutes, something unusual caught Jimmy’s eye. He suddenly stopped the swing of the hacksaw to gain a better look. Then he gave me a bewildered look as if he could not believe what his own eyes were seeing.
Clueless to the work stoppage, I asked, “What’s the matter?”
He pointed down to an adhesive sticker that mysteriously hitchhiked onto my sock. Dumbfounded, Jimmy did not yet have words for what he was about to say. I read the typewritten words DARE GRADUATION off of the adhesive label adhered to my sock. While I had no answer for how a sticker seperated from a leaflet of a school function got there, Jimmy arrived at his own explanation.
Jimmy said dubiously, “This is even hard to believe for you. Don’t tell me you label your socks based on where they have been.”

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Merci said...

Just Say No! to OCD.

Are your kids just like you, or are they polar opposites?

6:58 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

merci,
thankfully, I haven't met anyone like me.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

I'll bet your family members are very glad they know someone like you!

6:59 AM  
Blogger Zelda Parker said...

Humm, more space in the coat closets, more shopping. I find my small house assures that I don't keep too much stuff. Well at least I organized the books/shelves into alphabetical order today. I have been purging each room for clutter. Its the last room that always the hardest. My home office looks like a noreaster went through it......

5:42 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

zelda,
my kind of vacation.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Nazli Hardy said...

Joe - today I reorganized my closets. You will be appalled to know that I have not one thing labeled in my apartment. However even i know that wnter and summer clothes should be separated. Mercifully there are 2 walk in closets. I kid you not, I started at noon and finished at 11:00 PM. I have not eaten, I am bewildered, and if I only knew of your labeling oragnizational skills!

Oh - and because I always share my movie experience with you - I watched Pirates of the Caribbean II twice. The first time I was bewildered and the second time I bewildered myself for having the gall to watch it twice (promised different people at differnt times - serves me right)

Caribbewildered
Nazli

12:12 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Dr. Nazli,
I always knew you were off the Depp end! lol I had to SCRUB my plans to see that movie at a drive-in because it rained that night.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us