Freudian Slips: Taxation Can Take Its Toll

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

April 14, 2005

Taxation Can Take Its Toll

"Another year over, and a new one just begun." - John Lennon

The deadline to file your taxes is here. When my wife and I get our taxes prepared by an accountant, it is always one of the most stressful days of the year. I do not have anything to hide. Skeletons may be the only thing the government has not thought of to tax. My stress bubbles and boils from worrying whether we owe money. We work full time and have three jobs between us. I hate owing money after sweat and toil.
Tax season is a confusing time for us. My wife and I do not mix our money together. We have no bank accounts together. We have no investments together. We do not see each others paycheck. The last time I checked, we do not even share the same last name. Ironically, tax season is when we combine everything together to file jointly. Each year, I carry OUR folder of my categorical receipts, my signed charitable donation forms, every last business mile of mine calculated, even beginning of the year and end of year odometer readings. My wife laughs at my organizational skills. What I can't account for is the other half of the ledger, the blank ledger who sardonically laughs across the page at the ink blots. That is part of the stress, the rest is self-induced. But it's over. Thanks to the way my wife structures her deductions in her paychecks, we came out slightly ahead.
Check this tax tidbit out. According to the Gannett News Service, a Los Angeles, California man deducted the cost of his daughter's wedding as a casualty loss. When a baffled IRS agent telephoned to inquire about the odd category, the tax filing man replied, "My son-in-law turned out to be a complete disaster."

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Lost said...

Nothing like tax season to give you that queasy fluttery feeling in the pit of your stomach.
Glad you pulled out ahead though.

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goody, goody for you two! Does this mean you can float a loan to me so that I can pay my taxes? ET

2:44 PM  
Blogger justrose said...

beware the ides of April ... but now they're over for another year. accountants should be right next door to day spas.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Lost,
thought that queasy feeling was four alarm chili. Guess not.
Contrary,
I know you raise a lot of animals but is there such an animal as Fairtax?
ET,
Interest free loan to you.
Rose,
Spa or no spa, tax season is sink or swim.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good writing joe, happy birthday by the way. love, di

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us