Freudian Slips: Fire...Come and Get It

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

August 25, 2009

Fire...Come and Get It

The 9-volt battery that recently died in my smoke detector triggered a repressed social work memory.
A long time ago in a rural area of Salem County, New Jersey lived a hard-of-hearing uneducated elderly caretaker and a mildly retarded deaf mute named Little Jeanie. Upon completing an inspection of this quaint and tidy 1950’s built home, I found the caretaker to be almost as limited as the client. If not for the communication deficits of my client, Little Jeanie might be mistaken for Head of Household.
Long before I purchased smoke detectors with a red strobe visual alarm, I questioned their procedure for conducting mandatory fire drills on a monthly basis.
The elderly caretaker, who would die of cancer two years later, expected my question so much that she admitted to formulating a prepared statement for me ahead of my initial arrival.
“I know what you’re gonna say. Little Jeanie can’t hear no smoke detector signal on account of her deafness. What do you think I do? I do the only natural thing left to do. I turn on the oven.” She pointed. “When I open that oven door, bake or broil, Little Jeanie runs for the hills. We got it all worked out.”
“Humm…well that must create another problem when you cook dinner. I’m going to look into assistive device technology for the hearing impaired but in the meantime Little Jeanie has got to be confused big time.”
She agreed, “You got a point. Sometimes I find her standing out by the country road waiting to come in after I put a pot roast in the oven.”

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous et said...

Your story is a good one! It reminds me of an incident in my past and I wonder if Jeanie had the same experience.

Little Jeanie might have had the day lights scared out of her by a mischievous older brother. A big brother who pretends to stuff her into the oven for Thanksgiving dinner.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

et,
Get a life! I did that to my kids too. lol

8:15 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

and we know you are limited , good thing the kiddos arent!
great story. I love reading of your DDD adventures, reminds me of the good ole days which I have forgotten and am glad are over!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

mommanator,
thanks.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us