Freudian Slips: One Man's Trash, Another Man's Treasure

Freudian SlipsImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

LOOSE LIPS LINK FREUDIAN SLIPS

My Photo
Name:
Location: Irony, New Jersey, United States

Life takes us many places. It's a box of chocolates and a Hansel and Gretal trail of candy wrappers. I have filmed as an actor in The Happening, Invincible, The Lovely Bones, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek American, Bazookas, Limitless, TV's Its Always Sunny in Philly, Outlaw, New York, The Warrior, The Nail, Game Change, Cold Case, & commercial work includes The Philadelphia Eagles, Septa, Coors, Turbo Tax & Carnival Cruises. Freudian Slips spotlights irony in short story format.

August 16, 2005

One Man's Trash, Another Man's Treasure

"I don't believe it!" exclaimed Luke Skywalker after witnessing his master complete the impossible.
"That is why you fail." explained Yoda
.
I don't believe in coincidences but I have a habit of explaining away psychic phenomenon as merely coincidence. Coincidence is more mainstream and digestible to disbelievers of psychic phenomenon. I am no psychic but some unexplainable stuff has happened to me. Let's not forget that irony is also the cornerstone of Freudian Slips and that is no coincidence.
Let me attempt to explain what is not easy to explain. I try and put into my head what I would like to extract from the day. I don't always find all the pieces to the puzzle and no not where the parts come from. It may sound like a silly notion but I use my mind to engineer my own desired outcomes. I put positive thoughts into the world and see what vibes come of it. It could be called the power of prayer in religious circles, a Guardian Angel in spiritualism, wishful thinking in prosaic precincts, or lunacy in mental hospitals.

Allow me to use the unlikely example of trash picking to further this notion. First let me set the stage. Everyone knows I have a preciosity with order and organization. I replace what is broken. I put things in there place. I am a tireless task oriented worker to a general fault.
Less than a mile from a hardware store where I planned on buying chicken wire, I got a distinct feeling that I no longer needed to make this purchase. That is when I saw a man putting his trash to the curb. In his hand he carried a huge roll of chicken wire. I calmly pulled my car up curbside and lowered my window.
I asked, "Is that chicken wire considered trash, sir?"
"I'm afraid so. I have no use for it."
"I'll take it." Just like that the man hands it to me like efficient service at a drive-thru window.
On my way to Walmart to buy lounge seats for the kids to play their video games, I took a shortcut off the beaten path. I saw a man closing his garage door before retreating back into the house. He must have just set out two black leather video seats by the curb because they were cool to the touch. They were mine a minute later.
While on my way to the drug store to buy a blank videotape, I drove by a yard sale that had can't miss signage VHS Videotapes 4 for $1.00. The hand made sign had everything but my name on it. I was in and out of there with what I needed in a minute.
A more recent example of coincidence occurred two weeks ago. It freaked even me out and I put the original thought out there. Recently, I have been selling big ticket items on Ebay. It is a packaging nightmare often calling for double boxing(two different sized boxes one placed inside the other). I just sold a Fender Stratocaster guitar on Ebay and needed to ship it pronto. I put the positive thought out in the stratosphere that I would find a cardboard box of the right dimensions on the ride home from work. My eyes scanned storefronts and dumpsters. The closer I got to home, the more reality set in. I entered my housing development all but convinced this was an unanswered thought. As I made a left-hand turn into my driveway, I noticed that my next door neighbor had put his trash out early for the next day's pickup. I walked over and picked up not just an empty cardboard box but an actual Gibson guitar box!
Sometimes it is no coincidence to find the very thing you need in the world right outside your front door. You can't always get what you want but sometimes you get what you need.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The power of the force is within you! Be still and listen!

12:44 PM  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

Be still and listen indeed! Isn't that just the best when you find things like that? Sometimes it means more than getting something bigger, you know? Good for you.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Et And Livewire,
Being still is the key. sometimes though I make too much noise rooting in the trash to be still.

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I like your blog! I'm also going to refer to my friends!

I have a nutrition products site you might want to look at. It pretty much covers nutrition products related stuff and some top selling products.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Zelda Parker said...

Now that's good karma, getting just what you want just when you need it! You must be doing something right. Keep up the good work Joe.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Zelda Parker said...

Now that's good karma, getting just what you want just when you need it! You must be doing something right. Keep up the good work Joe.

8:53 AM  
Blogger eatmisery said...

Your life is chock full of irony, Joe.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Eatmisery,
I eat irony with a spoon but not out of a trash can of course.

Zelda,
those events did not happen back to back. i could have played a warlock in Bewitched if they did.

6:36 PM  
Blogger justrose said...

that is awesome! my favorite karmic occurence is forgotten currency stuffed away in the pockets of jackets.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

justrose,
dollars to donuts you're right.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Rob Seifert said...

I think you are right. The mind does have an effect on what manifests in our reality. I've played similar games with myself on many occasions. I have, for example, called the lotto numbers with perfect accuracy just before they came out of the machine on two seperate occasions. Interestingly enough, it doesn't work if I have something to gain. I think it's because I focus too hard on it and, like trying to grasp a ping pong ball floating in a pool of oil - it just keeps slipping just out of reach. I don't believe in coincidence. Synchronicity happens.

RCS

2:18 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

Robert,
good word synchronicity. you should have edited my post.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

Now Joe, you KNOW I love ironies too. I think what happens is that some people can look irony right smack in its face and just plain fail to appreciate it.
Good job on the yardsales and garbage piles!
(now off to try to catch up on your blog that I have greatly missed)

Thanks for being a faithful reader.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

lilly,
does that make both your mother and me white trash? lol


Weary,
Irony is a trained eye.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us